Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Common Sense

interrupting
with 5,000 hostile words or more
believing that conversation is a contest to be won
I have listened to them describe
that which they call common sense.
as a result, I realize why common sense
isn’t very common

but who am I to say
at the end of a weary day
what is or isn’t sensible?

well…

I listen sincerely and do not merely
plan what I want to say
while it’s still their turn to hold sway

when I am wrong I don’t clang like a gong
and if soon I am singing a different song
I remember it’s change that makes me strong

I don’t secretly wish for their demise
and I don’t try to cut them down to size
for I need their help if I’m to be wise

and when they are done I repeat what they said
so they know that their words went into my head
rather than just immediately cutting them to shreds
I think about it, I discuss it
I think about what they said

in short, 
by being a good listener
by having an open mind
I learn to distinguish the sensible
from that which is reprehensible!

No comments:

Post a Comment